Tuesday, October 3, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #213 Tiles

This week we concentrated on just one fabulous tangle - Lynn Mead's Fassett.

One string, one tangle and, while there some similarities, no two tiles are the same...

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Jane Rhea (Indiana) ~
So very good to know that you and yours are OK after the terror of Irma! So difficult for so many, and too many still suffering. The U.S. and the rest of the world needs some relief!
For this week's challenge I traced a tile into my sketch book so that I could experiment with " Fassett." I used a Graphic 1, a Coptic Multiliner, a Fabrico Dual marker, while jelly roll pen and white charcoal as well as an 01 micron and graphite. I fully intended to experiment and then tangle another tile to submit, but this one came out OK, so here it is.
Thank you for your continued enthusiasm and encouragement!
Tangled Tidbits -
*five sections that feature delicate balances of light and dark



From Vonnie (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~
I took a different approach to one of my ‘comfort’ tangles. Instead of sticking to a rigid grid, I chose to do more of an off the grid approach, even changing pencil guidelines as I added Fassett’s lines (the string line wasn’t excluded in the random turns). I also didn’t keep the shading in an organized pattern, rather the black sections decided for themselves where that wanted to be placed. The end result surpassed my expectations and pleasantly surprised me! I did decide that if this was a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, ooof duh! Thanks for another awesome tile!!
 Tangled Tidbits ~
*lovely balance of light, medium, and dark spaces


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Here my entry for IAST 213. It's a simple tile with Fassett but I have a very busy week and therefore not so much time to tangle. But I wanted absolutely take part in this challenge as I love Fassett.I look forward to seeing what the others did
Tangled Tidbits -
*fanned detail along string line Fassett - a very pretty variation


From Jenna Wheatman (United Kingdom) ~
Its been a while but I wanted to send you my tile for this weeks challenge.
I have been busy with a renovation project which is nearly finished. Zentangle got put to the back of a lot of other crafty projects I wanted to try but I never fully stopped as I always found it creeping back in as inspiration or picking furnishings or a piece art because it reminds you of a tangle or tangle to be.
This weeks challenge felt a bit deja voo but its familiarity was welcome and soothing.
Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back, Jenna!  It is good to see your work again.
*thick, sparkled, curved lines add wonderful dimension


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Here is my entry for a wonderful challenge with one of my favorite tangles:Fassett.
Because this week we only had to use one pattern I decided to make a special border. I found on the internet different folds to use which I do like. I have chosen for a double fold because these ones matched perfectly with the Z string.
Again, I cut out my drawing and glued it on a black tile.
Thank you Adele for this challenge I enjoyed very much.
Warm regards from Belgium
Tangled Tidbits -
*very pretty mix of techniques, glowing with white highlights


From Jutta Gladnigg (NRW, Germany) ~
Thank you for this interesting monotangle. Will be cool seeing what all the tanglers will do with this challenge! So glad that you and your family came out of that weather turmoil unharmed!!!!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful tangles and brilliant details galore


From Lin H (Florida) ~
Thanks for the challenge, Adele. I remember first drawing Fassett in your Beginners Class a couple years ago. It's just as much fun drawing it today as it was then.
Tangled Tidbits -
I remember, too :)
*elegant, highlighted, weighted string line atop an alternating black and brown lined Fassett



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
A lovely challenge. I like the way the triangles merge and disappear.
Tangled Tidbits -
*black and gray solid string sections highlight three variations of Fassett


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario) ~
When I started this pattern I didn't really like it. Just triangles in triangles in triangles, but once I put the lines across the corners, just as you said, the magic happened. This now reminds me of flowers behind a trellis and I love it. It is overcast and gloomy today, so my pic didn't come out too well. The colours look brighter in the original.
Tangled Tidbits -
*each string section features a different size of Fassett and all flow from the defined string line - very pretty


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
I recently watched the video of Rick showcasing the TranZending technique and decided to give it a try with this tile, hope that's okay. I love the effect it gives and am now on the hunt for old tiles that need a little pizzazz to continue practicing.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*stunning effect with a circular Tranzending over multiple sizes and black and blue Fassett



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Hope things are going well for you, nice to be back.
Fun to play with Fassett.
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles move from light to dark across the mid string line - all feature glowing sparkles


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
It's been a long time since I've done a monotangle. It's challenging to take one pattern and change it up a bit to make the tile interesting. Fun challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
*orb tipped rectangle rises from a base of triangles that feature wider spaced lines and elegant shading


From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
I've been dying to try Tranzending and this week's challenge presented the perfect opportunity.

Tangled Tidbits -
*technique brings the string line forward - notice that Fassett is finished in red :)


From Nadine Roller, CZT (Germany) ~
... am very happy and grateful that i had the chance to tangle in the park today while [my little one] has been sleeping one wonderful hour :-)....sun has been shining, autumn in the air and i enjoyed tangling Fassett and Phroz so much!!! I should have remind your words better that you wanted us to tangle Fassett. Well, i had fun with Fassetts sister Phroz too :-). I hope it is okay.
Tangled Tidbits -
*grad mix of Fassett sizes - beautiful touch of shading in Fassett centers


From Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I might be addicted after 10 days and 2 strings! The challenge makes me use tangles I wouldn't even try and pushes me out of my comfort zone. I'm naturally attracted to organic flowing lines and often just pass over more linear tangles. But when I saw your challenge I immediately thought of two things. First, I love the Z string which most CZT use in their first class and, secondly, I saw Fassett as a "fragment" within a triangular "reticula." I decide to combine both by making Fassett into a frame and tangling within the 4 sections of the Z string, but in the fashion of Dingbatz. I realize I could also enhance the Z as tranZending, but at this point have left it alone. It is temping though

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a very happy combination of technique and tangle!



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
Fassett gives a lot of possibilities to use it. I like this pattern very much. So I enjoyed to play with this pattern on your given string this week. I send you my third version to your challenge because there are some modifications of the pattern. You can find two more on my blog under the link
Thank you for this interesting challenge!
Best wishes from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*mesmerizing variations and enhancements - notice how the fanned lines of the inner triangle give Fassett more of a star look (bottom left)


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Thanks for another lovely challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating light and dark variations of Fassett, each uniquely shaded



From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
It was such a pleasure to explore Fassett. I did Fassett, Fassettoo and Phroze but my pen got so excited that at the end a small part dubbel Phroze :D.
Tangled Tidbits -
*pleasing balance of light and dark tangles, soft shading, and dotted corners


From Thekla (Germany) ~
attached I send you my tile for this IAST #213 challenge.
As a coincidence I just saw one day before the start of this challenge in your “you might also like” section your stepout-tip of Fassett and I decided to try it in the next days. Apart from that I have an unopened packages of scratch paper and wanted to try it since some time. So I took your challenge as a sign to do both now and hoped it would go easier because it was a monotangle. But to be honest, I found it very difficult, because I got problems with the line thickness and the coordination (lucky that it were straight lines!).
Tangled Tidbits -
*shimmering tangles - and the thicker lines add to the glow :)


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Thanks for the opportunity to revisit Fassett. It's such a great pattern with so many possibilities. I know I'm really going to enjoy seeing everyone's work this week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*very creative variations, each with its own lovely detail


From Elena (Russia) ~
Hello Adele!
Greetings to all participants!
Thank you for the publication. There was such a big international enthusiastic company!
Fassett is a new tangle for me. I do not like geometric tangles. But this has so many variations! It was interesting to draw.

Tangled Tidbits -
*touches of light and dark, black and white line, detail lines, and star like Tipple - lovely variations


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
...First, let me start by saying that I've always liked Fassett. I like drawing it, seeing the connecting lines reveal a new pattern. I like that it can be uniform or free from. Great as a "fill" tangle, but I've never really thought of Fassett as the star of it's own show. So what to do when IAST stretches my way of thinking? I get the sketch pad out. What if shading brought out the "cubes" more? What if there were stand-alone triangles? What if the triangles were made with arcs instead of straight lines? Voila! What a great, versatile tangle. Now I love it even more! Thanks, Adele!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*"what ifs" turned into "wow"! - notice how rounding dramatically changes the tangle


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
Hope all is well in FL and you are back to normal activities.
This was such a great learning opportunity. When I first saw this tangle pattern I was kind of cool on it. Then, I started working with it and seeing the beauty. Amazing how your fondness grows as you make it your own. Don’t pass up any tangle pattern until you try it. The magic is in your own version.
Tangled Tidbits -
Great advice!
*curves add puffiness to a colorful Fassett - a few hidden behind a frosted panel - so cool!



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
This is my IAST # 213 tile for this week.
My first tile since long, but despite my current circumstances, this was good for me. It's been a long time since I put a pen on paper, so I feel like a complete newbie in Zentangle land.
Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back, Ingrid!
*pure and simple and beautiful Fassett


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Paradox and Fassett combination
*creative variations feature curved and straight lines, light and dark details


From Priscilla Conti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
This was done while at craft show this weekend...couple of people asked me about it and I told them about zentangle and they signed my sign up sheet to learn more...
I like fasset but need to spend more time to get the triangles a bit more even...yet it was fun!
Thanks for the challenge...
Tangled Tidbits - 
Great news!
*multi-colored Fassett flows from one to the next



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
We experienced the first couple of fall like days here in NY. Kind of cold and blustery and great for tangling.
This tile made me think of ice crystals and the timing is sort of appropriate since we will be close to frost temperatures tonight! Brrrr…
Oh well.
I went a little crazy with the graphite, but I refuse to erase so here you go :o)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Phroz filled Fassett - fabulous!


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
...I have used the easy variation and drew the inner triangle with a slight curve. I wished I had more time to explore Lynn’s wonderful magical Fassett tangle, I love it.
Attached is my Tile for ‘ It’s A String Thing #213 ‘ challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*rounded corners, soft touch of shading - beautiful.


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I always "follow the rules" in your challenges ... because of a traumatic childhood experience ... in kindergarten we were practicing following directions, and the teacher would tell us three things to do, and when we accomplished them the class would clap. My things were do something, and then go back to your seat, and then do something else. I didn't really understand how I could go back to my seat and then do something else, so I did them in a more logical order, going back to my seat last. The class started to clap and the teacher said "no, we don't clap for Susan because she didn't follow directions." (Later at home my mother said it's much more intelligent to do things in a logical order ... however, I'm sort of a life-long rule follower.) HOWEVER, because Fassett is a complete puzzle to me and I find I can't predict what the finished result is going to look like (having the Cross show up was a complete surprise), so how could I develop creative variations ... I "borrowed" Fassett's cousin Phroz and used it and hope my kindergarten teacher isn't going "tsk, tsk."
Thank you!
Tangled Tidbits -
Your mother was wise and there is no "tsk, tsk" here, for sure.
*long strokes of the "cross" contrast beautifully with the smaller string line Fassett


From Karen Buse (California) ~
Attached please find my tile for It's A String Thing Challenge #213.
This Fassett challenge made my brain really happy. I spent a couple of hours just fooling around with different ways of dividing the tile into triangles. Most of those attempts included messy additions of the concentric triangles to get a feel for the end result. Finally settled on one that has a central focus but with a bit of spin to it. I had an interesting experience with shading too. Once I get the linework done I usually photocopy the tile to try out different shading schemes. I was pretty sure I wanted to do shading from a directional source but when I tried that the tile ended up way too visually busy. Everything was going in and out, in and out and the shading was competing with the linework. I settled on a simpler scheme of just shading at the "valleys" of the triangles. The addition of Beadlines was inspired by Margaret Bremner's work and just helps to emphasize the spin a bit. This exercise a great way to calm down after a busy week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty Fassett and shading - all made to pop with the addition of those stellar little white dots



From Lily (Hungary) ~
Dear Adele, here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
ZunHug:
Tangled Tidbits -
*four distinctively colored sections of the string with highlights throughout


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
The biggest challenge for this week's theme was to accept that I wasn't in control of the outcome. Fassett is one of my favorite add-to patterns, but I had no clue where it was going this time. And I added some Fassettoo too, which did a whole 'nother thing. Surprise, surprise. Sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes ...
(Hard enough to see the string anyway, but the tile seemed to want to rotate a quarter turn counter clockwise to boot. Like I said about outcome ...)


Tangled Tidbits -
This is obviously a very "good sometimes"...:)
*simple lined, lightly shaded large white spaces, create the star of the tile surrounded by finely lined Fassett variations


This is my tile ~
I do not usually add much shading to Fassett, but I followed a whim and shaded each of the four string sections just a bit differently.




And now...


the tile for honors this week...


was sent in by...


Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and is also featured here on her blog ~
Hi Adele! And greetings from Oklahoma!
Here's my IAST 212 tile. I thoroughly enjoyed this week's challenge! Monotangles help me focus without worry about other tangles and how to arrange them. It's a chance to try multiple styles and no pressure! Thanks! It was perfect for me!

Tangled Tidbits -
*sensational study in Fassett possibilities - sparkle, line, rounded corners, and shading


Congratulations, Cyndee!
I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Many thanks to Lynn Mead, CZT for the years of enjoyment her fabulous Fassett has provided.


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #214!









No comments:

Post a Comment