Monday, September 12, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #161 Tiles

Rain ruled the day with this week's challenge.  We used two tangles named for rain and one classic tangle that quickly became a favorite.
In a happy coincidence, seven tanglers from a wide range of places on the globe added a touch of the same shade of blue to their tiles.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Sandra (Germany) and here on her blog ~
I'm very happy that I found the time to tangle some tiles and to participate in your challenge again. I really liked the string and I was happy about using Raindotty because it's one of my favourites :-)
The other patterns where new to me.In germany the weather is really sunny and wonderful - but now there is rain around me ;-)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*bold string lines and Rain outline
*Hibred and sparkled lines fill Rain and the string space
*beautifully sparkled and shaded black perfs look like the magnets on a TTT frame :)



From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
Rain and raindotty are on my favorites list so I totally enjoyed this week's challenge. :)

Tangled Tidbits -
*Rain stretches across all three lines of the string
*Raindotty shaded around each circle
*more pretty black perfs here


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario) ~
Hello again Adele, this to me was a nice relaxing experience, I found myself counting the number of lines on Hibred and just the repetitiveness was oddly soothing. Maybe it would work nights I can't sleep if I imagine myself tangling?
Thank you for giving us something to look forward to on Tuesdays.
Tangled Tidbits -
*stunning Hibred border - yes, I think it could double as a soothing sleep aid :)
*bold Rain and dainty Raindotty



From Joanne Faherty (Bedforshire, United Kingdom) ~
... Had fun doing this and I didn't need to try out any - just relook at step outs to remind me of them, great for my slow reintroduction back in . Enjoy the relaxation I am getting and watching the amazing 'superhumans' in the Paralympics such an inspiration
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty variations of Rain
*Raindotty peeks through Hibred


From Julie Holland (North Carolina) ~
I worked on this challenge, I think I ended up doing 4 or 5 tiles, still not happy with them, but these are the "best" of them!Thanks again.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Rain shaded completely around
*Raindotty filled doubled string lines
*Hibred frames Rain
*Raindotty shaded from the center



From Cheryl Stocks (Arizona) and here on her blog ~
This week's ZIA is brought to you by Newton, the hurricane that just blew by here and other excitement. The previous week's reminded me of the sunset from the beach at Dunedin. Trying to keep up with the weekly challenges your posit without losing sight of the Zen intended.
I hope my entries are worthy of the visual conversation you start. From sunny Arizona,
 Tangled Tidbits -
*..."the visual conversation"  - lovely words and lovely tiles
*Rain dips below the border with a darkened aura
*Raindotty dots repeat around Rain
The inverted Msst is such a clever idea!




From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her blog ~
I was a little startled when I saw your string for this challenge, as it closely resembles my string #191. It made it rather easy to use, as it's a format I'm familiar with. Anyway, here's my tile:
Tangled Tidbits -
*great string similarities!
* weighted lines of Hibred shaded for depth
*Raindotty shaded inside outer circles
*bold arua for Rain


From Joan Delony, CZT (Florida) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*large Hibred filled Rain
*shadowed Rain floats above Raindotty



From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here is my tile for IAST 161. Thank you for the continued challenges.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*center arc of Hibred shaded on both sides of the doubled lines
*two variations of Rain
*light field of Raindotty


From Gesine (Germany) ~
attached is my tile for this week. Somehow, my raindotty disintegrated and left quite a lot of tiny dots accumulating in different places… Hibred was new to me, but this is definitely a tangle I will be coming back to!
I also attached my tile for last week which, for some reason, I didn’t send in then.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Raindotty takes on many wonderful shapes
*rounded edges of Hibred  - creative varitaion
*middle string line of Rain melts into the other tangles
What an elegant swirling Fengle!



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I finished my tile really early this week! Rain is one of my favorites. So funny to see your tips and tricks for it this morning because I always tend to embellish it rather than just do the black for some reason. Makes it kind of Willy Wonka-ish :o)
I love these challenges because other than last week’s you have given me new tangles each time. Hibrid and Raindotty were both new to me. I really enjoy this so thank you very much!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulously filled Rain
*aura-ed Raindotty
*pretty shading


From Jutta Gladnigg (Germany) ~
Your ingenious pattern selection immediately led me to a blank black tile…
Greetings from here!
Tangled Tidbits -
*white tangles glow
*starry effect of white Raindotty on a black tile
*flipped angle of the string



From Renee (Tennessee) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*the first of a few beautiful blue accented tiles
*curved Rain springs from Hibred
*Raindotty dots taper in size from the center outward



From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
...I went into this tile, with nothing more than a blank square of paper, some pens and pencils and a desire to lose myself for a little while. And I did. It's simple, but I like it!

Tangled Tidbits -
*...and therein lies a tanglers dream...
*rounded edges of Rain's white spaces
*curved double lines of Hibred
*blue sky for Raindotty



From Val Steele (Johannesburg, South Africa) ~
I had some dental work done on Wednesday, which was the day I did my tile. I think Rain says it all about the pain I was in. Also joined by Hibred and Raindotty.It was good to tangle though to try take my mind off it all.

Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkle, white a black perfs for Rain
*perf filled Hibred
*deeply shaded Raindotty
...wishing you a speedy recovery!



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Hello, Hibred was new to me, but I’ll definitely use it again. Nice to revisit rain again as well.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Rain repeats in smaller sections
*rounded and Hibred filled Rain
*perf lined Hibred



From Traci Frogley (Missouri) ~
Thanks for the challenge. All of these tangles were new to me.
... So this one isn't my favorite! For some reason a coat showed up at the bottom so I added a few buttons to it. I'm calling this piece "Button up! There's a storm brewin'!". LOLIt's wishful thinking, I know. It's just so doggone hot!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*stately stacks of Hibred, complete with a coat :)
*Raindotty tipped Hibred filled Rain - beautiful!


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
Hi Adele, Here is my tile for It is a string challenge #161. I realized at the middle of the process that I forgot to add the aura into the rain pattern, and for a moment I thought of destroying this tile and start a new, but then I thought of the idea behind zentangle that there are no mistakes, so I keep going and added on one side a little bit of aura as I could :-) I like the end result and really enjoyed the process and let it go!
Greetings from Canada

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful description of your commitment to "tangle on" - with beautiful results
*Hibred tipped wisps
*lovely highlights and shading
*curved Hibred



From Pat (Florida) ~
Hi, I enjoyed this challenge, thank you!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Hibred branches out from the middle string line
*light Raindotty contrasts well with the darker Rain



From Aloyna Pakhomova (Toronto, Canada) ~
Thanks a lot for your kind words! We'll be very glad if our example will encourage children to tangle along with their parents. Tangling is so relaxing and creative, and it's great to have one more thing to do together with kids, to have more quite time together in a life when we too often have to rush.
This time I am attaching my tile and that of my elder son. He added shading for the first time. I helped him a little bit, and then he did the rest by himself. He is proud to be able to do shading now.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...well said Aloyna :)
*one Rain 'fits' inside another
*Raindotty tipped Rain triangles
*pretty shading
*congratulations on your shading and tangles!
*Rain curves into a 'dot-to-dot' version of Raindotty


From Jane Glotzer (Boulder, Colorado) ~
Sending #161 in (early for me!) on a Friday evening, but this one came together so quickly, it's actually been sitting around finished, just waiting for shading, since Wednesday!
And, I very much like how it came out...nice balance of light and dark, and not symmetrical, but also a nice balance of stripes and dots. Love all these patterns...Raindotty was new to me, but what fun...I'm dotting everything now--:) and I haven't done Rain (or Hibred) in a while, so thank you for always introducing me to new tangles and reminding me of old friends.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple filled dark aura of Rain -
*black perf topped lined tips of Rain (that was a mouthful!) follow inward - a very pretty variation
*shading of Rain's aura yields peaks and valleys



From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Thank you for another thoughtful and stimulating challenge. I actually quite enjoy tangles with lots of straight parallel lines. I find them to be so very mindful and relaxing although I am sure that others would disagree. I think Hibred could become a favourite and it fitted so well with Rain and then Rain Dotty.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Rain tapers off into curves of Hibred
*Raindotty concentrated along the border
*darkened lines in Hibred mirror those in Rain



A very warm welcome to Shelley (Adelaide, South Australia) ~
Here is my first ever submission for IAST :) Hope you like it. Before and after shading attached.

Tangled Tidbits -
...I'm just a wee bit partial to the name of your city :) - welcome!
*a treat to see the before and after shading
*Hibred crisscrosses
*small triangles for Rain



From Lynn Gotham (Palm Coast, Florida) ~
Rain (rounded), Hibred and Rain Dotty for a fun challenge. Thank you.
 Tangled Tidibits -
*rounded Rain and rounded corners
*weighted lines in Hibred
*light touch of Raindotty



From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Lovely challenge! I hope the rainy weather has stopped by now...


Tangled Tidbits - 
*one large Rain through the middle
*Hibred branches from the outer string lines
*lovely shading



From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Here is my entry for IAST 161.
Thank´s for a great challenge. If I get time I will try this on an ordinary tile too, since I like RAIN, but don´t use it a lot!
With rainyday feeling, all the best
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Raindotty layered over Hibred
*orbs and dots for Raindotty
*alternating versions of Rain



From sra (India) ~
It's been raining in short spells on and off here but hadn't rained for two days. It has been raining since the last three days, though, when I've had these tangles in my mind.
In Indian classical music systems, it's said that certain ragas (modes of singing) are meant to influence the weather, cool it down, cause rain and such. Maybe these tangles have that effect too!
 Tangled Tidbits -
...a happy thought!
*Hibred top border with arced rows of tangles below
*Raindotty shaded in the center and around the outer ring



From Hilary Merola (Chicago, Illinois) ~
It's a rainy morning here in Chicago, very appropriate for the Rain tangle. Instead of the gray rain I see from my window, I decided to shade mine in blue. My attempts at Rain Dotty just looked ( don't tell anyone!) terrible, so I went with a few random dots.

Tangled Tidbits - 
...I won't tell ;) 
*multiple rows of Hibred
*rounded aura for Rain
...and the third touch of blue...



From Gudrun (Germany) ~
Rain and raindrops – we need rain urgently because all the nature is very dry – the race [grass?] is yellow and brown, also the trees.
Tangled Tidbits - 
...and our fourth touch of blue!
*Rain flows from Hibred
*varied size of Rain triangles



From Jennifer (Switzerland) ~
I really liked this string and the rain-related tangles. It’s been so hot here for late summer that it was quite refreshing!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*dainty Raindotty dots throughout
*dots repeat on tips of Rain and along the border
*center white spaces



From Patricia (Switzerland) ~
Thank you for the new challenge. I started tangling on 5 August 2016. Find it inspiring and admire the beautiful creations I've seen.
Tangled Tidbits - 
...isn't it  wonderful to learn from each other?
*alternating arcs of Rain and Hibred
*Raindotty varies in size




From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
My contribution to this week's challenge. I found it difficult to decide
where to place everything this week and just managed to squeeze inRaindotty!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Rain filled Rain - very nice!
*Hibred flows from Rain's triangles
*Tipple morphs into Raindotty



From Michele Wynne (California) ~
Thanks for another great challenge. I just started a new sketchbook and was happy to create this challenge as something I would definitely want to reference for future inspiration. I don't think I've ever used Rain before. My original plan was to use triangle fragments in the bits, but of course, planning goes off-the-rails more often than not;-). I've used the basic version Hibred before but I'd seen some interesting variations here and there that I wanted to try out.
This was quite fun and engaging to complete.Thank you for all you do!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Rain border with perfs, rounded corners, detail lines, shading - fabulous!
*three variations of Hibred including sparkle, striping, varied distance between lines - so yummy




From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
In the attachment my tile for IAST # 161. I turned the tile 90degrees, I liked it more that way.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Rain along the three string lines
*alternating Hibred and Raindotty
*beautiful shading



From Karen, The Creative Miss L (Canberra, Australia) and here on her blog ~
This week’s challenge was challenging! Rain wanted to dominate my tile, which is ironic considering the huge amount of rain we are getting at the moment in Canberra.
Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating light and dark Hibred
*golden Rain
*floating Rain triangles



From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Fun patterns, fun string, and I actually got a couple of tiles finished this week before "life" happened. If I haven't said it recently... Thank you Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Rain accented with sparkled triangles - notice the dot-line-dot pattern of the sparkle
*dense and lightly dotted Raindotty
*overlapping Raindotty of various sizes as spectacular as fireworks
*shadowed black sparkled perfs for a large Raindotty
*interlocking Hibred


From Heidi (Salt Lake City, Utah) ~
Since rain is one of the first tangles I learned, and I have enjoyed it so much, I thought I'd send an entry to your challenge. Fun string, and a great combination of tangles. I played with my tombow gray marker a bit on this one, and also colored Sakura micron blue. We are super SUPER dry in Utah, so I visualized water falling from the sky while I did this. It's kind of misty, maybe? Hibred I sort of had to do by just looking at it, as the zentangle website was down or anyway unavailable to me. This was very relaxing. thanks for a delightful challenge.

Tangled Tidbits - 
...our fifth blue touch in a tile...
*shadowed Rain - three variations of Rain
*Hibred border



From Pat (Ohio) ~
Arthritis in my hands is limiting my tangling. Rain is one of my favorite patterns though, so I gave it a try. Kept it simple.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautiful border of Hibred with Raindotty corners
*three bold Rain covered string lines
You did great!



From Vicki Mitchell, CZT (Moscow, Idaho) ~
This week's string was nice, but I couldn't get the patterns to play well with each other. In the first tile, Raindotty mostly sits on top of the other patterns, although it ducks in and out a little. In the second tile, I got both Rain and Raindotty to duck in and out, but didn't quite get the effect I was after. Still it was a challenge working for the effect I wanted, and in a few more months *g*, I might get it.


Tangled Tidbits - 
*Raindotty floats atop the tangles
*large and small Rain
...our sixth 'bit of blue' :)
*striped and sparkled Hibred
*Rain weaves through Hibred



From Julie Bazuzi (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
Autumn is closing in fast here in the Pacific Northwest, and I think I see some reflection of that in my tile for this week: russet for the crisp maple leaves littering the lawn and hints of cool blue skies.
I especially enjoyed revisiting Hibred this week.Tangles with that woven look have been calling my name lately.Thanks for the challenge!
Tangled Tidbits - 
...a bit lighter blue, as blue makes its seventh appearance :)
*gem filled Rain
*lovely, tangle filled Hibred 
*highlights and shading shine



From Jennifer (Alaska) ~
The tangle Rain reminded me of the benefits of one stroke at a time and rotating the tile. Looking forward to seeing how everyone corralled Raindotty as I was a bit stumped.
Tangled Tidbits -  
*clusters of Raindotty
*curved lines for Hibred
*shaded border 



From Susan Theron (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
What a pleasure! Thanks for your challenges!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*elegant, even feel and weight to all three tangles
*Hibred filled Rain
*shaded Raindotty center circle


From Brenda Urbanik, CZT (South Africa) ~
Thanks for a fun challenge. I enjoyed all three tangles and used them sparingly in a clean and simple style.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*perf lined aura of Rain and central lines of Hibred
*delicate Raindotty
*lovely use of white space


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
The first thing that came to mind when I turned my tile for a different view ... "and I took the road less traveled" ... a line from the poem, The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost. So, I reoriented my tile to this angle ... can't argue with a muse like Frost!
I've found that while I love the dramatic look of bold tangles, I'm a miser with my ink ... I want my microns to last forever. So, I opted for rounding, but I think I probably used the same amount of ink had I filled in the pointy ends of Rain.Loved the string and tangles ... and I loved your post featuring Lily's stunning handwriting and art. Lily, you are a treasure!
 Tangled Tidbits -
...Lily is a treasure, as are you!
*rounded corners of Raindotty filled Rain
*curved Hibred
*shading of Raindotty makes them look raised
and the magnets of Sharyn's TTT frame blend right in :)


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Hope you are fine and enjoying the beginnings of your Autumn (Fall). Here it’s a magnificent Spring day. Sunny and warm under a blue, blue sky.
Tile 161. What a blast!? Thoroughly enjoyed Hibred and Rain by Maria and Rick and Raindotty by Jane Monk.
When I look at my result, I wonder how to explain it. As you know we are experiencing symptoms of drought and a very dry spell this year, so Rain and Raindotty by Maria and Rick and Jane Monk work for me. A fan creating a rain-bringing- wind, the North-west in our area. And the then soft Raindotty by Jane Monk is what we are longing for. Such a Raindotty rain sinks in deep into the earth and relieves the thirst of man, animal and flora alike.
Another possible explanation, is a gambling take on the tangle (my word), all those myriad tipple balls dropping from one level to the other, could bring luck and happiness maybe in the form of the rains to break the drought in South Africa. Anyway it was great fun. Let’s pray for the symbolism.
All tanglers, and especially you, Adele, have a week full of blessings.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...many prayers for rain and the needed relief it brings...
*Tipple filled aura of Rain - notice how some overlap
*shaded outer aura of Rain, along with weighted lines adds depth
*shading added around Raindotty


From Allison Durno (Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada) ~
Sorry this is a day late! I've so fallen out of practise posting my Zentangle what with summer trips and getting back in to preparing my classroom for the new year! I hope to have more time as I move into the fall!My favorite time of year! Hope your fall is lovely, too!
Tangled Tidbits -
*white perf filled Rain
*long lines of Hibred run from Rain to the border lines
*grey marker shading



From Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Tipple accented Rain
*perf lined Hibred border
*rotated string




And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Jonesy of St.Louis, Missouri ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*stunning Raindotty - alternating large and small dots - sparkled, shaded, and hovering between Hibred and Rain
*simple Rain divides beautifully shaded Hibred
*Rain provides the guidelines for Hibred - each section is angled differently


Congratulations,  Jonesy!
I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

Thank you to all of the contributors to this week's challenge.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles we used along with my string:

 Hibred 
and
Rain by Maria Thomas, Zentangle® co-founder 

Raindotty by Jane Monk


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #162!

2 comments:

  1. I am always amazed at the variations between the tiles. One string, 3 tangles and a whole lot of different interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Thanks for the round-up, Adele! - Sra

    ReplyDelete