Tuesday, August 2, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #155 Tiles

This week was "all about the grids" as we used three grid based patterns and a string inspired by another.

Let's take a look~


The first tile arrived from Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
Just experimenting with patterns, changing sizes right now...didn't shade or aura any of this week's design... :o)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*size variation -  a great exercise in tangling
*singular line of Bales
*three variations of Bales and Cadent


From Aloyna Pakhomova (Toronto, Canada) ~
Tiles of the week by my sons and me.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*very nice Z-Trick aura
 *nice melding of tangles from this week and last week
 *wonderful shading
*large sparkled orbs of Cadent



From Sarah (Michigan) ~
I did a duotangle kind of thing. Kill two birds with one stone. No birds were injured in the making of this tile. [wink ]

Tangled Tidbits -
*inner and outer aura for the larger Bales
*large and small versions of Bales



From Karen (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
I’m happy to be able to join in this week, and really enjoyed the new-to-me tangle Z-Trik. While I tend to be a bit of a purist, using black pen on a white tile - when I was finished this one it seemed to be calling for colour. So I pulled out my coloured pencils and ended up being quite happy with the added colour!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Swirls from Cadent points repeat in Z-Trick
*rounded centers for Bales
*lovely ZIA


From smgg (Taiwan) and on Instagram ~
Have a nice day!!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded string lines add depth
*Z-Trick aura change direction
*four Cadent variations



From Rebecca I (Stamford, Connecticut) ~
Another fun challenge, thanks Adele! I enjoyed the process a little more than the end product this time (it's a little busy), but in truth I was a little rushed to get it done before vacation, so I can't really complain about that. ;-)
Tangled Tidbits -
*light and lovely Bales variation
*Z-Trick /Cadent variation fills the string



From sra (India) ~
There was a stage during the Zentangling this week when my practice pictures looked better than what went on the tile, so I kept trying out one design after another. And when they transitioned from "home work" to "class work", the results were quite different. For grid-based patterns, the first attempt, on the round tile, came out looking surprisingly floral both in rough and final. There is just a touch of Bales there which I keep having trouble identifying among all the lines there, but that is where the design sprung from. A bit of Bales, irregular, elongated and shorter Cadents, and lots and lots of Z-Trik.
The second one, with the single Cadent in the centre, was practice for the third one. So it's not that neat. When I transferred the string on to the tile, I forgot where and how I had added grids inside the string during practice so I just winged it and came up with a completely different design. I am thrilled, though!
I can't wait to see what you come up with for the anniversary challenge next week.

What a wonderful study of tangles!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Knightsbridge/Cadent variation
*deeply shaded Bales

 *multiple sparkle in thicker lines around each of the tangles
*elegant, elongated Cadent, shaded aura, and darkened centers



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
I love grid patterns. Cadent is one that I draw lots in idle moments. Good to try out some variations. The challenge really showed me loads more things to do with Bales, which often turns out really pretty.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Cadent border, each element formed with three points
*one large Bales on the string lines
*multiple variations of the tangles



From Hilary Merola (Chicago, Illinois) ~
Here's my weekly offering. I enjoyed doing these grid patterns and trying a few variations, but as much as I love grids, I inevitably make mistakes . So don't look too carefully! I tell myself it's all part of learning.
Tangled Tidbits -
...part of learning, as we all do, and there are "no mistakes" here, we are tangling :)
*Z-Trick shaded at the center points
*a new angle (direction)  for each tangle's grid


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
Here we are, another week, another interesting string, and a handful of lovely tangles. This week I decided to go all Renaissance with my tile. I've been slowly dipping my toe, only recently, into the charming world of the tan tile. It's a different experience - I work much slower, much less instinctively perhaps, still a little overwhelmed with choosing between black, brown or white.
I choose to keep Cadent in the cross section, and then bring in some basic Bales to add a curve behind. And at the start there was no room for poor old Z-Trik. While drawing the tile, I felt I'd over complicated things, trying to squeeze too much in, and nothing much standing out. But yet again the power of the pencil saved the show - somehow that graphite pulled it all together and even encouraged me to pop three tiny bits of Z-Trik into the mix!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*small and very large Cadent grid
*circular Bales
*Z-Trick accents Bales
*sparkle, highlight, shading, and detail lines - wonderful!


From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
My contribution to your IAST 155 challenge. I've added lots of curves
and circles and Cadent has turned out to be more of a border than a grid
but I enjoyed myself and I'm happy with the outcome!
Looking forward to next week's birthday challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*four layers of Cadent border
*Bales and Z-Trick fill the straight grid lines and add contrast the the circular Bales



From Jessie Plouffe (Connecticut) ~
Here is my tile for this week! I decided to do my favorite tangleation
of bales along the string, and then fill in the gaps with some Cadent
and Z-Trik.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Bales variation includes sparkled black orbs, detail lines, aura, and shading
*Z-Trick takes on the shape of the aura-ed Bales - beautiful!



A very warm welcome to Renee (Tennessee) ~
Hi, I saw your challenge on Pinterest and signed up for your emails. I'm not sure if the challenge is open to anyone, but if so then here is mine. Thanks!
Tangled Tidbits -
Yes, we welcome all happy tanglers - there isn't any other kind ;)
*detailed double string lines
*beautifully shaded tangles
*shining gem center



From Jane Glotzer (Colorado) ~
I'm back! Have you missed me? :) So happy to get back to It's a String Thing, flexing my tangle muscles for next week's birthday celebration! I have just been too too busy with other art endeavors, but I have been following along and thought last week's tiles were exceptionally awesome! Also, I was so impressed by the artist (I can't remember who) who caught up with all of her missed entries...very nice job!!
My tile scanned poorly (you couldn't see the watercolor wash at all) and my photo doesn't really do it justice--:) but this was a quick, fun draw with a couple of simple variations of Bales and Cadent (and just a couple of oopsies.) Played with the string a little bit, some Z-trik finished off the spaces and I was done on Wednesday--:)
Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back - you were missed!
*deep black filled Cadent
*thickly lined Cadent with thinner inner aura lines
*quilt-like variation of Bales



From Jutta Gladnigg (Germany) ~
Greetings from Germany to Adele and the IAST-community…!
Tangled Tidbits -
*shading becomes part of the tangle variations
*large Z-Trick shaded along the outer lines and in the inner triangle - beautiful!


From Sabine (Germany) ~
here is my contribution for this week.
With greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*six sensational Cadent variations
*one large Z-Trick center square



From Linda (United Kingdom) ~
At long last I've managed to do a tangle in time to submit Every week I have good intentions and suddenly it's Saturday!! Hope you're well and having some good summer weather. I do like grid patterns so really enjoyed doing this tangle, thank you.

Tangled Tidbits -
So good to have you back!
*large Z-Trick in each corner
*Cadent and Bales flow from the same grid lines and are beautifully complimentary



From Val Steele (Johannesburg, South Africa) ~
I loved doing this tile using old favorites.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Z-Trick shaded at each aura point
*Cadent shading adds layered look



From Annie (Spain) ~
I don't always choose grid tangles, so enjoyed really focusing on straight lines today. Looking forward to next week's big one!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Z-Trick aura-ed from common points
*layered Bales and Cadent background - gorgeous!


From Karin (Germany) ~
I really like symmetrical lines and I had fun with these patterns.
I added “Cubine” in the middle of “Bales” and “Cadent”
Wish you a nice weekend and look forward to the third year of your special challenges! Thank you for everything you do!
Greetings from Germany!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Z-Trick arua-ed from the intersecting line points of the string
*Cadent and Bales share the same fabulous dimensional centers



From Anja (East Frisia, Germany) and here on her blog ~
Many thanks for the great Challenge! Bales & Cadent are among my favorites. I had a lot of fun on the way to my final tile! At the end yet again with color. Many Greetings from Germany!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Cubine like centers of Cadent
*curved, detailed, and colorful Bales


From Jean Beckstrom (Alabama) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely, long Z-Trick triangles
*three variations of Cadent



From Ingird (The Netherlands) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*individual squares of Z-Trick, shaded and layered to add wonderful dimension
*white squares for Cadent grid - notice the center spiral created with detail lines



From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here's my entry for this week. Thanks for the fun challenge!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Cadent/Bales combination moves outward and blends into Cadent and Bales
*Z-Trick shaded along the grid lines



A very warm welcome to Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I've checked out your blog for a while but this is my first time to actually do one. Thank you for the opportunity.
Tangled Tidbits -
*string created with St. John's Cross
* Z-Trick and Cadent filled string with Bales and St. John's Cross alternating around



From Hilary Gibbons (Spain) ~
Greetings to everyone from a very sunny (42c) Spain. Here is my entry for your IAST #155


Tangled Tidbits - 
*Cadent center with a marvelous morphing of Z-Trick and Bales
*shading adds wonderful dimension



From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Congratulations on wrapping up a third year of fun, inspiration and dedication. You are incredible and I look forward to joining in Year 4.
It was nice to mess around with Cadent this week, one of my all time favourite tangles. I am not sure my tile did justice to any of the tangles but it was fun anyway.
A million thank yous as always and enjoy the celebration.
Tangled Tidbits - 
and a million thanks back to you!
*Z-Trick filled Cadent
*Cadent between two, three, and four points
*bold black spaces and white spaces, too



From Allison Durno (Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada) ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*alternating Z-Trick aura points create a zigzag look  
*deep shading and dark inner spaces of Bales


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
It's hard to believe it's been three years of prompts, Tips for Tangling, Wednesday'sWords of Wisdom, inspirational Zias, incredible furniture redos, positive energy, and kind reviews of every tile that is shared. It's no wonder you have a world-wide community! Thank you for bringing us all together every week!
This week's tile turned out to be a triple tangle mash up celebration.
Cheers to week one of IAST's New Year!
Tangled Tidbits - 
...and this wouldn't be possible without all of you - or nearly as much fun !
*a marvelous "mash up celebration" it is - Cadent floats above Bales, Z-Trick weaves its way into and through Cadent
*the frame's magnets blend into Cadent's dark, sparkled orbs 



From Linda Goncalves (Pennsylvania) ~
I am happy to be "tangling" again. I especially had fun with z-trick. Generally I don't like working with straight lines because I am more "loosey/ goosey", but this time I just didn't worry that the straight lines weren't that straight. Thank you for this. It was fun to come home to.

Tangled Tidbits - 
Welcome back :)
*happy variation of Z-Trick with wavy lines
*black centers anchor Bales
*Cadent shaded on two sides



From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her blog ~
Here's my tile for the latest IAST #155. Haven't posted much for the last month; but I thought I'd try to get this one in on time.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful weighted lines - string lines, inner aura of Bales
*larger Z-Trick and smaller grids for Bales and Cadent




From Gesine (Germany) ~
I’m a bit late with this one, but since our roof burnt down recently, I had no computer immediately at hand when we returned home. Luckily, this one – as all other, which I found really surprising – was spared by the water. And even my Zentangle display was bare millimeters from the water running down the walls, and nothing happened to it…
Anyway, here’s my contribution for #155.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...sorry for your troubles, happy that your tangles were spared...
*highlights and shading add softness
*Cadent narrows down to one point
*Bales shaded on two sides with a dark center



From Deb Bussman (Ohio) ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*like Ingrid's tile above, Z-Trick squares stack - isn't that an amazing coincidence? 
*thick sparkled aura for Cadent
*center swatch of Bales



From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Z-Trick filled Cadent
*softly shaded tangles
*Bales shines with shaded points


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
...to tile 155. Cadent and Bales (Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas) are old faithful members of a tangler’s arsenal, so was great to use them again. I used several versions of Cadent - so versatile. Z-Trick (Yamit Fridman) is a new one for me. Will use the pattern again. End result as always Hmmm?!

Tangled Tidbits -
*and then there were three...three tanglers with staggered Z-Trick squares - and from three different continents - amazing.
*swirled Cadent lines
*detail lines accent Bales and Cadent



From CZT Simone (Germany by way of Scotland) and here on her blog ~
many greetings again from Scotland, today I am writing from the Borders, where are many historical buildings to visit.
This are so stunning and beautiful places, so again I took some time for tangling.
Today, Sunday, 31st of August I drew the tile for your "It`s A String Thing #155", again on my knees sitting on a park bench in the lovely Dryburgh Abbey in the Scottish Borders.
I love the tangles you chose for this challenge: Bales and Cadent (both original Zentangle) and
Z-Trik , a new tangle by Yamit Fridman.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Z-Trick filled Bales
*Cadent morphs into Bales and Bales into Cadent
*pretty white highlights




From Sindy P, CZT (Florida by way of California) ~
So, first, thank you, Adele. When I make time for this challenge, I always love doing it!
This was the first thing I did in 'my' Zentangle Journal! ( the companion book to the new (ish) Primer, published by Rick and Maria and available on Zentangle.com After doing this piece by hand, I 'cleaned it up' in Procreate , an app I use on my iPad.

Tangled Tidbits -
*multi-lined Cadent
*Bales and Z-Trick share a grid
*great variation of Z-Trick created by adding aura to every other triangle



And now...
the tiles for honors this week...
were sent in by...
Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
My oh my, this week's patterns gave me quite a zenercize workout!
Tile #1 ...A funny thing happens sometimes when I least intend it, like when I'm creating a free-thought collage. When I look at the finished product, I often see a concept I wasn't conscious of during the process. And so, as I prepared to shade my first tile, I was startled to see a Big Bang sort of theme seemed to materialize. Light separated from darkness, Yin and Yang. Merging of cosmic Z-Trik and Bales confluences. A Cadent wormhole emerging from the nether regions of the Universe, twisted in direction by a mysterious cosmic wind (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it). Too prosaic?
In Tile #2 I used large sections of Z-Trik in the border regions, with the central square a morphing of Bales and Z-Trik. And Tile #3 ... who knows? A sunny sky, a cooling breeze, acaramel frappuccino. Good vibrations and happy feet. And don't the half squares of Z-Trik look cool?
Always fun, Adele.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*narrowing path of ribbon like Cadent
*Bales/Z-Trick center Square
*mesmerizing Z-Trick
*Bales border lines
 *light, dark, shaded, and arced Bales
*rotated and mirrored Z-Trick aura
*a little Cadent stack


Congratulations, Marla!
I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.


Thank you to all of our participants this week.  We appreciate being able to learn from you and are inspired by your beautiful work.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles used with my string:

Cadent and

Bales by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts, Zentangle® founders

Z-Trik by Yamit Fridman



Please feel free to leave a comment, a tangled tidbit or two :)


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #156 - our Third Birthday Celebration will kick off our Fourth Year together!



















2 comments:

  1. A really great collection of tangles, so many were inspired to send in more than one, including beginners like myself! Thanks, Adele, for the personalised round-up. Waiting for tomorrow! - Sra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) tile!

    ReplyDelete