Monday, July 11, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #152 Tiles

This week we celebrated the "lazy, hazy, crazy" days of summer and the results promise to amaze.

Let's take a look ~

The first tiles arrived from Katrina Handson (Florida) ~
Here's my entry for string #152 I really liked this challenge I did two tiles the first i just went with the sun and wave look( i had a recent beach trip so this was a perfect tangle for what i had on my mind!) the second i tried to differentiate a little ^-^ Hope everyone's enjoying their summer
 Tangled Tidbits -
*waves of Kitl
*aura-ed string circle
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Kitl border
*lovely circular Lenche


From smgg (Taiwan) and on her Istagram ~
Have a nice day!!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*layered Kitl topped with Lenche
*large, sparkled Lenche circle


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands)  and here on her blog ~
When I started this challenge, I wasn't sure what it would be like, but it turned out nicer than I had thought ;-)

Tangled Tidbits -
*double looped Kitl
*Lenche corners
*soft shading and highlights


From Gesine (Germany) ~
I was really surprised by the outcome of this one… Loopy tangles tend to get out of my hand, but I still somehow like the result.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Lenche topped Kitl
*crossed lines of Lenche (bottom left)
*multiple aura and striking colors create a stunning ZIA


From Val Steele (Johannesburg, South Africa) ~
This was fun to do. I made it light and airy and snuck in Aah from last week.
Kitl, Lenche, Shnek, Angel Fish and Aah.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Lenche shaded along its long lines
*large Kitl circle aura-ed in Lenche curves
*pretty combination of tangles



From Lily Moon (Hungary) and here on her blog ~
... here is my tile for your weekly challenge...

Tangled Tidbits -
*tips of Lenche sparkle with white dots and shading
*fabulous variation of Kitl - stripes, sparkle, aura, black and white spaces



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Hi, lovely to do a sunny tangle when it feels like autumn here!

Tangled Tidbits -
*continuous line version of Kitl
*string circle filled and outlined with Lenche



From Hilary Gibbons (Southern Spain) ~
I'm attaching my effort for IAST #152 today :)
I've been trying to teach myself to tangle by finding lovely sites like yours. From here I've discovered some people whose work really is gorgeous.
I've found out today that I'm probably breaking all the Zentangle rules with my entry so please feel free to put it in the trash if it doesn't qualify! It's a bit tricky out on your own but I've found someone else who's self taught now and her work is amazing so give me a few years and I have some hope lol! If I ever win the Lotto I'll come stateside and do my CZT training :)
That would be wonderful, Hilary!
Tangled Tidbits -
*since there are no mistakes in Zentangle, completed tiles are always works of art and this is no exception :)
*lovely layered circle of Kitl
*Lenche dots hug the string line as the tangle curves in and out



From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) and here on her blog ~
For the challenge this week I didn't really stay concentrated so I am not satisfied with the result. It's too chaotic I think...
Greetings from Germany

Tangled Tidbits -
*Kitl tucked into Lenche
*ribboned Lenche string line


From Allison Durno (Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada) ~
This tile fought me a bit. I started a tile where I was using Kitl for the circle, but it just wasn't working out for me. Left it a day or two and started again, this time using Lenche for the circle. Things fell into place after that. I like the strong contrast in the Kitl at the bottom of the square, though I still find the tangle tricky to draw. Add some shading and finally had something I was happy with. Have a great week!
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful black spaces anchor Kilt
*sunburst of Lenche



From Sabine (Germany) and here on her blog ~
A summer inspired string and the tangles Lenche and Kitl to celebrate the summer a great idea for this week. Two lovely and easy looking pattern, but this one maked some trouble to me. I don't know why and I'm not really satiesfied. But however, it is was it is :)), here is my entrie.
With greetings from a sunny/cloudy Germany


Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled rays of Kitl
*blackened half loops of Kitl
*pretty use of aura and sparkle



From Denise (New Hampshire) ~
Kitl was a challenge for me....first I was making them too small, then too big. I like the final result--a mix of both! I added fragment "W7" from the Zentangle Primer book. I like the look it created. It reminds me a bit of seashells on the beach. I also felt like I wanted to add more, but I'm glad I kept it simple. Thanks for sharing.
Instagram: string.then.tangle
 Tangled Tidbits -
*simple and elegant tangles
*shadowed long lines of Lenche



From Michele Wynne (California) ~
Thanks so much for another challenging challenge. Both of these patterns were new to me and I love them both. I had several watercolor tiles left over after going on a red, white and blue binge last week. I hope you had a lovely 4th.
Thank you for all you do.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Kitl filled string circle
*sparkle, shading, and color add depth



From Jean Beckstrom (Alabama) ~
This is my contribution to this week's challenge using Lenche and Kitl. I hope it is acceptable.
As always I look forward to seeing what others do to express themselves. I always learn a great deal.
Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful detail lines repeat in both patterns
*Kitl used along the string line, in a circle, and and on its own




From Anja (East Frisia, Germany) and here on her blog ~
To be honest, this week I was a little skeptical. "What should come out with this combination?" ;) The result poitively surprised me!!! :) Thanks a lot for this great Challenge!
Many Greetings vom Germany!

Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant black, white, and shaded Kitl
*weighted lined and shading of Lenche
*shaded white space in the sting's circle



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
In the attachment my tile # 152.
A very nice string and patterns you gave us. Working on this tile gave me the feeling of a long, hot and lazy summer, but o how I miss these summers here in The Netherlands. So far this summer, we have cloudy and rainy weather. Well I would say: perfect weather for tangling!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a Kitl butterfly!
*doubled string line filled with Kitl
*scalloped Lenche string circle


From Jutta Gladnigg (Germany) ~
"High noon at coral reef"

Tangled Tidbits -
*clever Kitl border
*little orbs from Lenche repeat throughout
*shadowed shading


From Sarah (Michigan) ~
I did an aura. Only one. My hands are messed up from falling off a longboard. That was my 4th of July. Picking asphalt gravel out of my palms.
So this ain't pretty, but I did it.
Take care!

Tangled Tidbits -
*great tangling despite the injury - ouch!
*aura-ed Kitl circle repeats in Lenche




From Rebecca I (Stamford, Connecticut) ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*deep curves of Lenche
*in- and outer- aura for Kitl



From Becky Welty (North Carolina) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*spectacular Kitl variation in the string circle
*alternating rows of Lenche


From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Thanks for another fun challenge. Kitl is one of those simple tangles that can look so different depending on how it is used that it can be hard to recognise it as the same thing. It seemed to work nicely with Lenche, as one seemed to often want to lead to the other. My pins got a little carried away though. Some of them grew very long while another one escaped altogether and allowed a Kitl dragonfly to emerge. Lots of white space this week but that seems to be what it called for.
It was a great string, although I was tempted to present my tile upside down, since the "lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer" are definitely not where I am!
Congratulations on O which looks very soothing, and congratulations to Catherine and Oswald. You certainly have beautiful children.
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful touch of a pinned down corner - (a similar touch by Marla in California below...)
*Kitl border worked into Lenche covered string line
*a Kitl busy bee :)
*stunning combination of Kitl and Lenche in the string's circle



From Aloyna Pakhomova (Toronto, Canada) ~
Two tiles this time - mine and my little son's.

Tangled Tidbits -
*long, lovely lines of Lenche
*stippled background for Kitl's multiple variations
Tangled Tidbits -
*a Kitl compass rose
*Lenche borders


From Matt W. (Princeton, New Jersey) ~
This week I've been enjoying the summer weather at the Jersey shore taking a much-needed vacation even if it is only just an hour from home. When I saw the two tangles and string for this week i was immediately reminded of the fences along the beaches of the Jersey shore. therefore, I decided to portray in the tile what that looks like. Needless to say my mind has been in beach mode this week and sad to say that reality sets in on Monday when i am back at work again.
Tangled Tidbits -
*soothing imagery of the shore
*large and small Kitl in the string's circle



From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
...GREAT patterns, but I found myself leaning toward predictable placements, and I hate doing that. Which is why, I guess, once I considered the obvious for Tile #2 it demanded a colorful unexpected ZIA treatment. Wo-ho! The only thing more fun than tangling a tile is seeing what everyone else comes up with!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a pin to match Jenny's (above)
*three sparkles for the large black orbs - nice technique!
*circle of Kitl alternates large and small
One spectacular ZIA complete with a Lenche sun, Kitl waves, and even a fish!



From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
It is funny how you look at a tangle and say "OK", but when you get to know it, you really like it and that is the way I feel about Lenche of Anita. I like Anita's tangling style.
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled details in Lenche
*Kitl border and circle
*soft shading


From Jonsey (Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Kitl clusters
*Lenche circle with great sparkle and shading



From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden), the creator of Lenche - what a treat! ~
I am right now in Östhammar on Swedish eastcoast, where I am having an exhibition in a small, cozy gallery. Busy but I just had to do the challenge this week since my Lenche was in it! I am so excited to see what is coming up! I love the string and Ketl too. Arukas also showed up! Thank's Adele for choosing my pattern!
Best summer greetings
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Lenche fills in the curved string line
*Lenche orbs repeat in the four corners of the border line
*various sizes of Kitl line the sting's circle


And now...
the tile for honors this week...
was sent in by...
Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Loved the tangles and string ... Lenche brings back memories of many sewing projects and of the days when my sisters and I would repurpose the colorful glass topped common pins as earings for our dolls.
This tile reminds me of the beach ... Shells, waves, and pebbles.
Looking forward to playing with your new tangle tonight ... Hope to see it in an upcoming prompt! Cheers to the engaged couple!


Tangled Tidbits -
*Mooka like waves added to Lenche
*wonderful weighted lines, sparkle and shading for Kitl
*five fanned, perf tipped lines for each Lenche curve
...and pictured on the Tickled to Tangle frame Sharyn won in the IAST #150 drawing :)

Congratulations, Sharyn!
I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.


Thank you to all of our participants this week.  We appreciate being able to learn from you and are inspired by your beautiful work.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles used with my string:

Lenche by Anita A Westin (Sweden)
and
Kitl by Jem Miller (United Kingdom) a.k.a Ragged Ray

Special thanks for your kind words about my newest tangle, O, and for the good wishes for our daughter's engagement.


Check back tomorrow afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #153!

1 comment:

  1. I loved Lenche but Kitl felled me and I didn't have enough time to persevere this past week! Hope to be back with this week's challenge. Seeing all the tiles, I wish I could have participated. - Sra

    ReplyDelete