Monday, June 8, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #95 Tiles

This week we used a string line with a large open space along with three well known tangles and a relatively new one.  The possibilities were endless and oh, so beautiful.  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Sarah Antoinette in Michigan ~
I accidentally drew in a few lines on the Yin Cut wrong but once figured out the rest went smoothly.
[my blog]

Tangled Tidbits -
*great use of a "creative opportunity" :)
*large, nicely shaded Nzeppel
*sparkled Yincut


From Peggy Kohrmann ~
Because I knew three of the tangles this week, I have been tangling today. I am sending in my effort with only those tangles. Because Nzeppel and Yincut are on grids so I combined them in the large center space. Onamoto is fun to do but I couldn't see how to do the curved sides. So I picked the edges for all the lines. I'll have to try Bublz another time.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautiful string line and border of Onomato orbs
*creative combination of Yincut and Nzeppel
*shading around Nzeppel gives it dimension


From Sandra ~
thanks again for a wonderful challenge :-) What an interesting string this week! I used all four patterns and I think Bublz is just amazing. I didn't know the pattern before but I liked it so much :-)
In my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*elegant curves and combinations of tangles
*beautifully shaded Bublz
*dark sparkled orbs

From Carmela ~
a difficult string this time, but hey, its cold a challenge, hahahaha
I used Nzeppel, Bulbz ans Onomato and tried to shade well.
Thanks fot yhis nice challenge,
On my blog 

Tangled Tidbits - 
*light, bubbly middle
*Onomato edges
*Nzeppel in the crossed string lines

From Ilse Lukken ~
Here's my entry for this week, I was quite pleased to see the result of this challenge.
It's on my blog as well.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Yincut cleverly incorporated with Onomato
*nice thick lines for Bublz
*lovely shading and sparkle

From CZT Cheryl Rotnem ~
Adele, cannot believe how fast this one went. All tangles I like to do! Hope everyone else likes mine. I sure enjoy seeing how everyone's come out! It just amazes me!!! So here it is.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Yincut tucked into Nzeppel
*alternating Onomato and Bublz
*dark spaces of both tangles compliment each other


From Joanne F ~
Such a fun one this week and so many possibilities with the string!.
I went with my first though.....
I love bublz I've used it a few times.
Thanks for reminding me of yincut I forget about this one bit it has a cool effect, I should use it more!. Also on my blog ( mytangleddreams. Blogspot.com ) or it will be tomorrow at least ;)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Bublz shaded where the circles intersect
*mirrored patterns from side to side
*shaded outer pearl filled lines of Onomato


This is my tile ~
After I completed one side, I decided to make the three remaining ones similar.  Once all four were finished, I darkened in the the string lines toward the middle and filled in with Bublz - great fun!




From HeidiSue ~
This was a very fun challenge, I think my favorite String Thing entry. I posted on my blog
The yincut along the bottom sort of saved it, as I had drawn my first few Bublz outside the N'zeppel border before I saw how cool it would look if I kept the Bublz inside the border. Bublz is definitely the star here, but I got everyone in, one place or another.
thanks for a very cool, interesting and fun challenge.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*large tangles in the string sections
*curved lines and sparkle add dimension
*bubbling Bublz!

From Anna Houston, CZT ~
This week's challenge was challenging but it was fun regardless. Not my best work ever but so be it. I had trouble getting my shading to a satisfactory level. 

Tangled Tidbits - 
*continuous grid for Yincut that comes and goes as the string allows
*swath of Onomato
*Bublz shadow - fabulous touch!



From Beth Broadway ~
I really enjoyed this tile. I have not used 'Nzeppel before and wow it is fantastic! My husband really liked this and he is supportive of my new hobby. He just bought me my first set of Copic markers. WOO-HOO!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Woo-hoo!  That is cause for celebration!
*dark and light centers of Nzeppel
*wonderful shading and sparkle of Yincut


From Tabby B ~
When I first looked at the challenge this week, I was dumbfounded. I wasn't sure what pattern I was going to put where or how it would all turn out. The only thing I was sure of was N'zeppel was going to go in the big spot in the center. I decided I would use onomato first, since it's been one of my favorite tangles since I started this "Zentangle Journey". The overlapping arcs in the string were just screaming "Bublz!" So I added more circles and arcs. This was my first time using Bublz and N'zeppel, and I absolutely love them both, Thank you! As always, thanks for the challenge! Until next week...
I have several new pieces on my Flickr page that I'd love feedback on, if anyone is interested :)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Bublz formed by the string lines
*large and lovely Nzeppel
*super shading


A very warm welcome to Martina Flasarová from the Czech Republic ~
Thank you for this challenge. This is my first post for you. Now I found courage to send my picture.
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed center space
*simply elegant large Nzeppel
*repeated curved grid for Yincut

From Ingrid Coventon ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*by coincidence, another single large Nzeppel :) with the added detail
*great dimension to Onomato
*blackened spaces of the outer Nzeppel


From Juul - her first Renaissance tile ~

 Tangled Tidbits -
*Bublz on strings!
*lovely white highlights
*pretty frame of Onomato


From Cathy Cusson ~
I almost did not do this challenge. I love the tangles you chose - they are my absolute favorites, particularly nzeppel. I probably overuse that one. But the string! I drew, then erased, then drew and then erased. At least a "gazillion" times. Finally I got it to my liking and am so glad I persevered. This is one of my favorite tiles of the ones I have done lately. Just shows you need to stick with something, right?! [on my blog]
Tangled Tidbits - 
*YES, persistence does pay!
*sensational cross grid center of Nzeppel
*bits and pieces of Yincut details


From Cheryl Stocks ~
Attached should be my latest creation based on your blog challenges. I've been doing them, but had technical difficulties that precluded getting them up and out to you.
I felt I was channeling my best Lori Byerly; her tangle and 'NZeppel (?) kind of melded together and I only made one pea of Onomato, skipping the other choice all together. It was quite fun, reminds me of big Champagne bubbles.
On my blog... and the previous few weeks on the post before that.
Thanks so much for the challenge!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a fitting nod to Lori Byerly's style!
*merging of Bublz and Nzeppel
*soft subtle shading


From Sally Sheldon ~
At first I thought I wasn't going to enjoy this string at all but you proved me wrong with the choices of patterns. I had lot of fun doing this. At the end I was totally surprised that when turned on its side I really liked it even more than the original positioning.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Bublz floats above the other tangles
*elongated curves of Nzeppel
*Onomato tucked into Yincut

From Lily Moon ~
here is my tile ( traditional black and white this time ) for your weekly challenge.
on my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*sublime shading - notice the deeply shaded sparkle of Onomato
*rows of Bublz
*Nzeppel- ed string lines filled with tangles - a clever idea


From Beth Gaughan ~

Greetings from NC! I am curious to see the entries this week. When I looked at the challenge this configuration jumped out at me, and I didn't see another way to tangle these patterns and string. It was fun as usual.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*string line Bublz
*Nzeppel spaces darkened in
*dark dotted corners of the Yincut grid

From Becky Welty ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*thickened string lines
*beautiful Bublz
*light and airy Nzeppel



From Dolores Brushcreek ~
I had so much fun with this challenge! I loved all the patterns and the string, what a great combination! I did a little shading too. Thanks for all your effort on these challenges!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*great sparkle
*aura-ed Bublz
*thicker grid lines for Nzeppel


From  Jeanine Berry ~
I started out with the string but somehow ended up here. Anyway, the journey was fun. I am learning lots of new tangles and even adding some to my favorites.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a delightful description of the process of tangling - thank you, Jeanine
*thickened grid lines of Nzeppel
*triangular Yincut


A very warm welcome to Jessie Plouffe ~
I have been following the "It's a String Thing" challenges for several
weeks now, but this is the first tile that I have decided to submit
(and completed in time for submission!) I love all four of these
patterns, and I thought that the string fit the Bublz so well.
Tangled Tidbits -
*overlapping orbs in Onomato
*string line Bublz
*Yincut/Onomato variation - great idea!


From Tina Kirchhübel ~
Thank you for your new wonderful challenge. This week I finally found the time to draw a tile for your challenge and I really enjoy it.
Greatings from Saxony(Germany)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*black sparkled Onomato circles dotted with small light ones and then aura-ed
*Yincut fitted to the string lines
*Bublz overlapping Nzeppel


A very warm welcome to  Trish O'Leary, CZT ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*creative mix of additional tangles
*center column of Bublz
*curved grid for Yincut


From Joya ~
Here's my new tile for the String Thing challenge. Last week I wasn`t able to send it on time, but this week I succeeded :)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*string line Bublz bubble over into Onomato
*a touch of Yincut
*fine lined Nzeppel


From Lori Byerly - the creator of Bublz!
Thank you so much for using one of my patterns for your weekly challenge. It was such a delight to check in and see bublz on the list. You made my week. :)
You may see my tile here also.

Tangled Tidbits -
*string line Bublz bubbling to the middle
*large grid for Yincut
*beautiful balance of black space


From Sidney Kapinos ~

This was a fun challenge to do. Attached is my entry for this week. [on] my blogLooking forward to seeing the results. Thanks!

Tangled Tidbits -
*arcs of Onomato
*large Nzeppel in the string line
*beautiful Bublz


From Kylie Dinning ~
A great string and patterns this week. With so many possibilities it was difficult to know where to start. Bublz was a new one for me and such a lot of fun! I'll certainly be using it more.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*bubbling corner of Bublz with thick black intersections
*Nzeppel grid flows into Yincut
*shaded variation of Yincut



From Anna mega ~
This is my new tangle for your challenge.....
Αs always strings challenge is perfect.....
Beautiful challenge...
Tangled Tidbits - 
*sensational shading
*straight lined Yincut and Nzeppel balance the rounder tangles
*pleasing blend of black, white, and shaded spaces


From Amrita Chaudhary ~
...This time there was place for all the tangles of the challenge,
Bublz is such a cool tangle. Onamato is a beautiful tangle and the way Michele has taught us to shade it, it becomes so gorgeous. 'Nzeppl does not come out right for me.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*tapered line of Onomato
*shared grid of Nzeppel and Yincut
*large Bublz


From Alexandra Henrich ~
This week's string thing was a really hard challenge for me, as I have a somewhat special relationship with Yincut. Somehow I almost always end up with the streaks of one section going in the "wrong" direction. So I had some practice there, which is of course always a good idea!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a very pretty Yincut
*'framed' Onomato
*thickened string lines


From Deb Jacob ~
Hi Adele, I loved your photos at the Biltmore.  Now, it's on my list of places I want to see. It's so true...I see patterns every where I look since I started Zentangling. Love the perspective it's blessed me with! Great string...I will be tangling it again, I know. Didn't think I would squeeze in the time and then I looked at it last night after doing a 4 hour drive to spend the weekend with my kids & lovely grandbaby and this tangle just flowed out. Thank you for posting the challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Isn't it always rewarding when you take time to tangle?
*Onoamato string lines
*billowing Bublz

From Jane Glozter ~
...loved your post about the Biltmore...looks amazingly beautiful!!
95 was an interesting one...I started with a varied grid 'Nzeppel in the center...not sure I'm happy with my version, though...shading was also a challenge for me there...
I got that done on Tuesday evening, but then it just sat there for a day or so because I wasn't sure where I wanted to go next...(but I had practiced the new Bublz in my calendar) When I finally did get back to it, the Yincut variation showed up in the half circles without much planning...then I did the first deconstructed Onomato on the bottom and when those "V"s appeared, I chose to mirror image the large and small circles, and reversed for above...no place for the cute Bublz in the end...but I really like the entire design balance, if only for that 'Nzeppel... :)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*bold black Onomato
*creative Yincut sections
*irregular shapes for Nzeppel


From Donna Symons ~
Exciting combination of string and tangles that really
challenged me.My Zentangle moment occurred when
I filled in a large black space. We all know the
feeling..First the " darn I blew it"..then on to "there
are no mistakes etc" to the "just press on" part...and it w
it just works out!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Yes, we can appreciate that experience :)
*black space anchors the center and accents the tangles
*great shading

From Sue Agnew ~
Here's #95 ... fun as always! It was especially fun to reconnect with some official tangles, which were some of the first I learned (especially Onamato, which was part of my early "pearl phase"). When you sent out the challenge you made a special point of the large center space, but the arched grids on each side called out for these grid-based tangles ... so I let some Bublz float up to fill some of the center space. For N'Zeppel I used an "incomplete grid" (more like crosses than boxes) so that the outside lines could be the rounded shapes, if that makes sense at all.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful white space
*complimentary sides of Bublz and Nzeppel
*complimentary Onomato and Yincut

A very warm welcome to Beverly Gotthardt ~
This is my first time entering your challenge ...Thanks for the great challenge site.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*woven look to Yincut
*larger black spaces and lines of Nzeppel
*pretty center row of Onomato


From CZT Tabitha Bedoukian ~
I'm really quite pleased with how this one turned out. I wasn't at all sure how to manage that string, but alternating the bubbly patterns just kinda worked! I deepened the lines in the Onamato pieces to give it some depth, because it was otherwise rather lacking in contrast. 
Tabitha followed up with this ~
Here's my second tile for this week (#95). I wondered what would happen if I went for drama, so I did Onamato in black instead, and filled in behind N'Zepple. They are quite different, and j. The end, I like my first one better. :) But, I am glad that I had time to answer the question "what if...?" :)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Yincut centers, each delightfully different
*super shading
*Bublz magnifies Yincut

From Sharyn Penna ~
This was such a bubbly, happy prompt perfect for graduation celebrations! Ironic ... The three Zentangle tangles in this week's prompt were the first tangles I learned ... Onamato has stayed in my top five favorites ... Nzeppel is my go to background ... Loved this prompt! 
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a bounty of Bublz
*fabulous patchwork of Yincut and Nzeppel
*Onomato frame

From Annie Taylor ~
Loved this one, Adele. Real Zen.  Thank you
Tangled Tidbits - 
*larger spaces between the white orbs of Onomato
*Bublz string lines
*superb shading


From Susan Theron and  on her blog ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a crown of Bublz
*little peeks of Yincut
*elongated Onomato


From Felicity Strohfeldt ~
This week the Western Cape [South Africa] was hit by belated winter storms and plenty of rain fell and the mountain tops of the Cape are covered in a white blanket, Brrrr!. Today the sun is shining again,but more weather is around the corner.
Your photos of the amazing mix of artistry in that fabulous hotel are marvellous and inspiring
Anyway I managed to knuckle down this weekend and produce my tile 95. Have done ‘Nzeppel, Yincut and my favourite, Onamato, before. Thank you Linda and Maria. Sandy Hunter’s string was interesting and of course then came Bublz by Lori. I found drawing neat circles challenging, but they came out fizzing with energy and soon floated upwards begging to be let free, hence the open-ended tile. Then I thought Lori has given us bubbly Bublz, and, not to forget I added a few Bubbles by Suzanne. So after a bit of , errr what do I call it? Writer’s Block? No, I know! Tangler’s Drought I managed to come up with a, I think, dainty tile of treats! On my blog

 Tangled Tidbits -
*a festive bubbling of Bublz
*rows of curvy Onomato
*wonderfully sparkled and shaded Yincut

From Brie Zobel ~
String Thing 95 using String 96. I never got over the image of the string being cut out of the Bublz tangle, so I took the opportunity to try a monotangle.

I also tried to use multiple tangle on this string. I'm not sure my YinCut around the outside is actually YinCut. (I'm not really sure of all of my tangles, but is this Isochor?) 'Nzeppel is probably my favorite tangle. I experimented with using pencil for it instead pen, to try to make it seem more distant.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*marvelous monotangle
*blend of Bublz and Yincut
*well shaded Nzeppel

And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Portia Hyde from Michigan!


She wrote -
After a very tense day it was nice to relax and tangle this piece. It just organized itself and went together beautifully! (At least I think so!) Enjoy everyone’s interpretations each week. They give me ideas to try in my Tangle A Day Calendar.


Tangled Tidbits -
*yes, they fit together beautifully
*detailed Onomato
*Yincut background for Bublz

Congratulations, Portia!
I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

Thank you all for sharing your work so generously with the rest of our tangling community. 

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles and string we used this week~

 TanglePatterns String 096 by CZT Sandy Hunter 
'Nzeppe
Yincut

Onomato  by Maria Thomas

Bublz by Lori Byerly


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #96!





1 comment:

  1. Such amazing creativity. :) I always enjoy looking at how many different ways folks can use the same string and collection of tangle patterns. Thanks, Adele, for adding my pattern to the list of patterns to consider.

    ReplyDelete