Monday, May 25, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #93 Tiles

Before posting the tiles from this week, I must mention that it is Memorial Day here in the United States - a day we remember and honor those who died while serving in our armed forces. They gave the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms we hold dear.  May God grant them eternal peace.

This week we used a curvy string line and three tangles that were knew to most participants.  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Cathy Cusson ~
...I loved this string. I used two of the tangles and added a bit of color. I need to work on gottago , so I didn’t use it. Something just never looks quite right.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*great variation in sizes of 4Mom
*nicely shaded white spaces
*alternating blue and withe lines for JJ

From Carmela ~
This one was a real challenge for me.
I used the patterns ones in my tangle agenda, and i found them nice, but all together is very busy.
And not so easy to fit all the straight patterns in the curvy string.
Further made a mistake in the Gottago pattern bij the connection by the slanting lines, so I made a variation
On my Blog 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a creative opportunity with great results!
*combination of two 4Mom variations
*two large JJ

From Sarah Antoinette ~
This was a great string to test my skills. It felt like good exercise! And I paid attention to using the string pretty well for myself that is! Good tangles that required thinking!
[my blog]


Tangled Tidbits -
*accurate description of these tangles!
*super shading of JJ
*thick dark centers for Gattago


From Brie Zobel ~
This week's challenge was a challenge. String 93 is all curvy lines (kind of reminds me of an elephant head actually). The tangles are mostly angular and gridded (and new to me). Normally the string and tangles have something in common that gives me a starting point. This week I wasn't sure where to start.

As two of the patterns were both gridded, I played around with scale, something I have a hard time doing. Gottago looks great on a small scale. I did, however, underestimate how many tiny little lines there were in it! :) 4MOM was the easiest to warp and therefore made a good top border. Individuals JJs look great strung in the open spaces left.
Super pleased with the final. I wasn't sure I would get something to come together that wasn't chaotic. (The less chaotic they are, the more relaxed I am on finishing them.)
The tile is also shown on my blog 

Tangled Tidbits -
*admirable small grid for Gottago
*4Mom string line
*JJ jems on a string - very clever!

From Sidney Kapinos and here on her blog ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*swirls in 4Mom
*nice thick centers of Gottago
*JJ string lines

From Ilse Lukken ~
Voilà, my entry for this week ;-)
It's always nice to learn new tangles, this time Gottago (at the bottom, right and middle) was my favorite one, although I didn't fill much space with it. I'll surely use it again some other time!
You can find my tile on my blog as well.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*black tips of 4Mom
*solid scallops of JJ
*delicate lines in GG

From Beth Gaughan ~
I really enjoyed this week's challenge. It felt intuitive to put the tile together, and it almost drew itself. Since the three patterns were grid-based, I also added two of my favorite grid patterns to the tile - Kiss and Cadent.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a beautiful blend of tangles
*stacked 4Mom
*single arced row of JJ 

From Ragged Ray ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. I learned many little lessons while working on it -

- Tangles that look like they won't work with the string can still produce pleasing results.
- A string can be altered to your desire (I know this is a basic principle but I always forget!)
- If a tangle feels uncontrollable at a certain size change it (I like 4MOM when I draw it smaller as the circles don't get the better of me!)
- Wobbly grid lines give a tangle more character!
- Shading doesn't have to be logical (falling where light would fall) - it can be used both sides of a band make it stand out more.
Thanks for the opportunity to learn a bit more about this crazy pastime!
Tangled Tidbits -
*truisms of tangling in a nutshell and so very wonderfully worded
*black sparkled orbs of 4Mom
*JJ trimmed 4Mom

From Sandra ~
thank you for your new challenge :-) At first I wanted to tangle all three patterns but I didn't like the tile that I began and than I decided to start a new one with only Gottago. A wonderful pattern with so much variations :-) I didn't know this tangle before but I'm sure it will become one of my favourites!
In my blog you can find the tile here


Tangled Tidbits -
*marvelous monotangle
*one continuous grid with pattern changes at the string lines
*superb shading


From Anna Mega ~
this challenge was perfect.
Τhis is the tile that I mαde.
I did not have much time but I tried!

Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed orbs of 4Mom
*great variation of 4Mom in lower left loop
*beautifully shaded and highlighted orbs - notice the white dots


From CZT Joan Delony ~
... I haven't tried a new pattern since "Uncorked" which I use so often, I didn't feel the need to explore further. Enjoyed the challenge and the learning.

Tangled Tidbits -
*large center swirl of JJ complete with sparkle
*JJ scallops along the string line
*single, curved 4Mom

From Delores Brushcreek ~
Here’s my submission. Somehow I went a little crazy with this one!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Gottago along curves
*a 4Mom face!
*background of JJ


From Jeanine Berry ~
Thanks for another challenging tangle. These were all new to me and I ended up tweaking Mom a bit. As you can probably tell, I am just starting with zentangle, but I love seeing the patterns emerge.

Tangled Tidbits -
*triangle aura-ed tips of 4Mom
*JJ shaded on one side of the scallops
*lovely line work on Gottago


From Jane Glotzer ~
Gotta love Gottago and I started there, creating the background/frame...next came the hammock like deconstructed version of JJ...then I zigzagged my way around with 4MOM and filled in only the top circles and some striping...added my other variation of JJ along another part of the string and there was something about the overall sparseness I really liked. Shading added some depth..I found this challenge so interesting because I approached it in an entirely different way than I typically work, deconstructing and using just pieces of some tangles and leaving many areas of the string unfilled...I really love how it turned out...so cool, so fun, so zentangle!

Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed circles of 4Mom
*string line of JJ
*harmonious white space

With "groetjes" from Efie ~

 Tangled Tidbits -
*three variations of 4Mom
*interspersed JJ and Gottago
*soft shading of the center circle

From Sally Sheldon ~
I could not get away from seeing a large circle at the center of the string with 4M and JJ working together. So here's what happened!

Tangled Tidbits -
*great combination of patterns
*4Mom along JJ lines
*JJ in 4Mom orbs

A very warm welcome to Alexandra Henrich who sent her tile with "Kind regards from Germany" ~
here comes my entry for this week - my first one ever! I'm still quite new to zentangle, but totally hooked on it, as it allows me to be creative in a way I never thought possible. I simply love the way one gets carried away while tangling and how the patterns sometimes seem to develop a life of their own. The patterns were all new to me, but I must admit that JJ turned into something like a favorite. Thanks for offering this great opportunity ;-)

Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed sections of Gottago
*wavy lines in 4Mom variation
*chain link look for JJ


From Betsy Gentry ~
This was a fascinating combination of string and tangles and I enjoyed putting them together. Thank you for posting your tips for JJ, very helpful and I love your concept of drawing continual lines. Very calming to draw like that. 
Tangled Tidbits -
*large, sparkled Gottago
*jumbo JJ
*striped aura for 4Mom

From Ingrid Coventon ~
Usually I like when the stringline disappears when drawing the tangle patterns. But not this time. I emphasized the stringline, because otherwise it would be too busy and there would be no focuspoint in the tile. I hope it worked that way.
I liked all the tanglepatterns especially 4 MOM. It is so versatile.

Tangled Tidbits -
*JJ and 4 Mom combination
*string loops of JJ
*terrific shading

From Deb Jacob ~
Thank you for once again putting out a challenging challenge! I really enjoyed these new to me tangles. I still have to figure out how not to get lost in those grids, but it's a journey. Gotta love the journey and the beauty & truth that unfold along the road. Have a blessed & safe Memorial day. Please stop somewhere along the way to offer a silent (or spoken) thanks to all of our brave service men & women who have given so much for us.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty center of JJ
*tippled 4Mom
*tangled string line

From Christina Luis ~
Thank you for such a fun set of tangles. I really enjoyed them this week. I hope you have had a wonderful week...the link to my blog

Tangled Tidbits -
*three variations of Gottago
*wonderful highlights and shading
*aura-ed and striped string line



From Joanne Hawes ~
Thanks for this one I love 4mom and all the different ways that you can use it. It's a fun one. The string reminded me of an elephant ( but I'm not to sure why??! Anyone else?) I struggled with gottago so I left it off. JJ was a little hard for me too but I'm pleased with how it came out in the end. I also have it on my blog ( which is brand new)

Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled and striped 4Mom
*Knightsbridge  trimmed JJ
*gorgeous 4Mom

From Tabitha Barnett ~
Well, that was fun! I just love that string. I must say, I struggled with gottago....I kept confusing myself. I definitely had fun playing with variations on 4MOM. I think I'll be using that pattern alot. [also here on flickr]

Tangled Tidbits - 
*yummy JJ, shaded and curved
*4Mom, shaded, tippled, and aura-ed
*elongated orbs in 4Mom

From Mary (in Baltimore, Maryland) ~
Thanks for highlighting these 3 newer tangles. I'm not sure that my combination is all that pleasing, but I enjoyed the process so that's good enough for me. I think OM kind of gets lost in JJ; maybe I should have added some emphasis to it.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*tear shaped white space mirrored in 4Mom
*alternating line direction in Gottago
*dark scallops of JJ

From Susan Szathmary with a smile ~


Tangled Tidbits - 
*an elegant swan!
*rows and rows of 4Mom
*great depth with shading


From Becky Welty ~


Tangled Tidbits - 
*clever 4Mom
*uniform tangle sizes with pleasing bold black and white balance

From Susan Theron ~
This was a difficult one deciding where to put what...........
Also on my blog

Tangled Tidbits -
*Gottago on both straight and curved grid
*sparkle!
*dark angles of 4Mom

From Kylie Dinning ~
Thanks for another great challenge. I love Gottago and combined it with 4mom ( my first time using).

Tangled Tidbits -
*4Mom - sharp bold angles and soft white circles
*alternating detail lines of Gottago
*shaded string lines


From Emily Shelton ~
This is also on my blog -
In addition to 4MOM, Gottago and JJ, I also used
Crescent Moon (Z(r) )
Footlites by Carol Ohl
CO2 by Antonine Magger and
Fans by Suzanne McNeil
Lots of elements with circles and lots with prominent fans/triangles
I've turned it around and around and can't figure out which way I like it best.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*tippled 4Mom
*4Mom and JJ combined
*a happy combination of tangles


And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by Sue Agnew from Arizona!

Sue wrote ~
The tangles were all new to me, and it was fun to mess around with them and see what they wanted to do. I found Gottago the hardest so just kept it basic ... I think I would like it better on a regular grid rather than a distorted one, because the distortion (skewedness?) inherent in the pattern itself didn't really come through. My Moms ended up more like Mooos, oh well.
Sue's tile was elegantly simple and captured the essence of each of the tangles ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*amazing arc of Gottago
*sparkled JJ
*multiple circles in 4Mom


Congratulations, Sue!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Thank you all for sharing your work so generously with the rest of the tangling community.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles and string we used this week~

TanglePatterns String 093 by Sabrina Croft
4MOM by Jane Eileen Maone, CZT

Gottago by Lianne Woods, CZT

JJ by Joy Taylor, CZT

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #94!



























No comments:

Post a Comment